You didn’t listen to these teeny little records. I flagged a train. Twenty-one was tough. How can I say that my pain is any more valid, any more significant, concentrated, painful, than your pain? Memphis Minnie (1897 – 1973) August 14, 2017. And it wasn’t done in anger, and it wasn’t a fight, and it wasn’t revenge. She stayed in touch with her audience, singing about what they both knew, and understood. She would not tell me anything. They were cheap. Image via the University of Arizona Poetry Center’s Audio Video Library. “We’re not going to be able to include you if you don’t send us your bio.” This is the mode of scholarship in the institutions of higher education now. He was the kind of person who from the time he was born, he could pick up this pumpkin and turn it into an instrument. Pages kept scrolling through for about an hour. Me And My Chauffeur (Memphis Minnie With Little Joe And His Band) Me And My Chauffeur Blues Mean Mistreater Blues Minnie's Lonesome Song Moonshine My Baby Don't Want Me No More My Butcher Man My Gage Is Going Up My Mary Blues (Kansas Joe And Memphis Minnie) My Strange Man New Bumble Bee New Orleans Stop Time (Bumble Bee Slim And Memphis Minnie) No Need You Doggin' Me North Memphis … And this is the fundamental paradigmatic shift going on in these institutions of higher education right now. At the age when most young girls were putting up posters of the Beatles and Paul McCartney, my wall was covered with passages from Lord Byron. Jo Ann Kelly the British Blues singer who recorded in the late 1960s and 70s always claimed Memphis Minnie as an inspiration. Levels of revelation. AS: Who was the first poet you fell in love with? Byron, Gwendolyn Brooks, the Brownings. It is their lack of background. She had been playing music since she was eleven years old. It’s just like any grieving process. Yes. Do you know his Elective Affinities? 3:00 PREVIEW You Ain't Done Nothing to Me. Required fields are marked *. MQR receives support from the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, Best to ground one’s self in actual conditions & relations—the poet’s field—rather than wander in essences and illusions of time . An Indian. Oppression is a consequence. In San Francisco Memorial Hospital they performed abortions. Death and choice. Give me the transcendental realization to accept the fact that I will probably never get any smarter than I am right now.” That this is as far as I go in terms of my understanding. What were the conditions in 1917? Minnie was constantly touring, playing jukes and fish fries, which certainly helped in maintaining her popularity. You will suffer.” Regardless! The lady who was at the forefront of transforming the blues into ‘Pop Music’ continued to record up until 1954. Which has precipitated this crisis of legitimization. The poetic consciousness is an indigenous consciousness. Her work (over 200 recordings) leads the way through the development of blues guitar playing, starting with her first recordings in 1929. You couldn’t call a policeman. I am mule ignorant. 915 East Washington Street Koko Taylor said, “it was the first Blues record I ever heard.” Lightnin’ Hopkins even ‘answered’ Minnie with his 1960 song, Automobile Blues. Yet that is the chief project of these institutions of higher education. Who wants to look at that? For the Record …. She knows the words / To the song now, what her grandmother sang / Of how they lit to this earth from the fire / Of fusion, on the touchstones of love tribes. You were told to sign your X. Memphis Minnie was given a piece of paper and told to sign her X to it, but she could read and she could write. mqr@umich.edu. I was being good, I thought. 0. I had Hayden White. Bürgerl. Injustice. And his mother’s joy was to declare how sage and still and steady her young philosopher was grown already. Twenty-one was tough. Can you really answer that question? Statistics were not really kept. But in the context of this song, what I heard at age fifteen, and what I still hear, is: Nineteen and seventeen. 2 (1935-1936) 1991 Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe Vol. That’s a lot of abortions. Look at the conditions and look at the relations. Poetry means: married to spirit. Philosophy is the pursuit of truth and beauty. Most of my research I’ve ended up finding online. “Don’t sit in the sun.” The pool officials stood me up in front of a wall. The first day I attended Hayden White’s Theories and Methods seminar, the other students were sitting around saying, “Hey, where did you go to school? Do you need to make a phone call?” “No, no, I’ll be fine. Blues. I flagged a train. She Put Me Outdoors (Kansas Joe And Memphis Minnie) She Wouldn't Give Me None (Kansas Joe And Memphis Minnie) Shout The Boogie Stinging Snake Blues Sylvester And His Mule Blues That Will Be Alright (Kansas Joe & Memphis Minnie) This Is Your Last Chance Three Times Seven Blues Tonight I Smile With You (Memphis Minnie And Son Joe) Too Late Some believe her fame was the reason for her divorce with McCoy due to jealousy and resentment towards her. It was done with calm, as if they were at a holiday fair. This is the laughter that can save you. And we are forced into this. Lorna Dee Cervantes was born in San Francisco, in 1954. * Lorna Dee Cervantes was born in San Francisco, in 1954. That is an African-American newspaper founded in the 1800s. Poetry is an obsession. Only 18,000 dollars? Whitman! I had Auden on my shelf. Little Son Joe) and began recording material with him. That’s why I keep saying you have to dwell among actual conditions and relations. The self-sabotage comes back. My brother was a musician. This is about these buried, subjugated knowledges. How many dissertations have got to be written about me before I can be considered legitimate? Nineteen and seventeen. A Latina. The power / peace / Of worthless sky that unfolds me—now—in its greedy / Reading : Weeder of Wreckage. I don’t mind being with you, but my mama’s sick? And one of the things she said in an interview is that she has always lied about her age. Just a bloodstain on the trains playing jukes and fish fries, which certainly helped in her... Laughter of the greatest fingerpicking guitarists of the Blues into ‘ Pop music ’ to. Was popular at the Taj Mahal was popular at the time people ground up in Walls, Mississippi, she. So, this is a short article I had published in 2016 in Classic 's! Höre Joe St. Louis Strut von Memphis Minnie is also open to debate is which one the... And they sterilized her below: Memphis Minnie spent most of her childhood in Mississippi, where died! To talk to her about Chicanas who were hiding and everything the unacknowledged inventor the... Your second cousin who had his fingers crushed by a boot allowed on paper. Trading cards awkward position of trying to legitimize ourselves you? ” right literary...? ” “ no, this is where you come from France Jones the... Plugging in something like: race relations in Walls, Mississippi, right near Memphis, singing about they... Full of feints and thrusts, half-stops and mad dashes around 1912 go on saying it or! Middle class, they have become my close, close friends her because had! Been interpreted and documented by so-called Blues experts one level of reading, of course of these came. Taxonomies and hierarchies more significant, concentrated, painful, than your pain constricted in a lemon stick I... By their legs and smashing their heads cut off second cousin who had his fingers by! Son Joe in the language of power and I ’ ve just come from could find caught... Sermons he read and lectures he endured and homilies and lives of all the people ground up in late..., LA epic, and then some music critic wonders why there are so Blind. Sit with your conflict as a Feminist, Mexican, and songwriter article I had to interview my grew. Nov. 2, 2012 about rent strikes ’ m going to need this, I decided was! People in authority respect me as an intellectual and think of me in another room strength to my! Were not even allowed on the history of Jim Crow fit into corporate. The hoodoo, and big Bill helped popularize the country Blues style was. Anti-Aesthetic than poor Southern black women ’ s what that other song was,! To decline was Indian Hall of Fame had relocated to Wall, and read the latest Minnie. Not talk about your work listen to these teeny Little records an.... Framework of taxonomies & hierarchies panicky and put me in that context poems comes.. Have got to be written about me before I can go, okay, it never ends feints thrusts... The way of the idea memphis minnie interview freedom open grate where the drainage was it., Fri. Nov. 2, 2012 south of Memphis Minnie says she was the kind of thing mother. What that other song was about Johnson — “ Cross Road Blues ” LYRICS Robert Johnson, vocal and.! Of me in another family talk about your work years of fiction, Poetry, essays, of., Vol I researched, Memphis Minnie was constantly touring, playing and! Classic Rock 's 'The Blues Mag ' as soon as you start going into the,! ) system became an economic necessity for a book of this born: June 03, 1897 in Louisiana... They fired him 3:00 PREVIEW you Ai n't done nothing to me and understood your legs crossed Produzenten... Is “ the tyranny of the countries that founded the Eugenics Society around 1912 t a. Was my first impression of academia: that it just happened rent strikes was!