Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy acid (BHA), which is a type of exfoliating acid. ... After use, skin may be a bit sensitive (that's the salicylic acid working) so steer clear of excessive sun exposure and be sure to wear sunscreen. The other type is AHA, or alpha hydroxy acid, and this includes ingredients such as glycolic and lactic acid. How to Use The Ordinary Salicylic Acid. Thanks to its antibacterial properties and its ability to deeply exfoliate skin to unclog pores, it’s a valuable ingredient for anyone dealing with oily skin, breakouts, or acne. They recommend using it morning and night and to either apply directly to the spot in question or to the whole face for an all over smooth look. I did exactly as The Ordinary recommend, first applying it to the spots that I had for the first few days and then all over as it cleared my spots right up. Shop. Note: This product is out of stock, but is in the process of … The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Solution $7. Salicylic acid is a key ingredient which you’ve probably seen in many cleansers and blemish treatments.