If you’re considering when to plant blue bonnet flowers, keep in mind that bigger and more developed blooms result from earliest plantings. Some seeds do not germinate within the first year, by scarifying you run the risk of bacteria getting into the seed and destroying it before it has a chance to take root. Now it takes about a year or two for bluebonnets … The same information appears on Propagation … When do I plant bluebonnet seeds? But for Texans trying to grow our beloved flower, a better expression might be: "Plant in fall if you want any bluebonnets at all!" If care of blue bonnet plants does not include seed removal, seeds will drop and may sprout in coming years, although chances of an untreated seed … Since they have very hard seed coats, they will need to be treated to make them permeable to water. Granted, I had a few weeks of beauty, but I'm glad to be at the point where I can harvest the seeds that … Harvest Bluebonnet Seeds: To be quite frank, my bluebonnets look absolutely revolting right now.