Grill or bake the black bean burgers and enjoy on a bun, plain, or on a salad. I learned this from. The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. With great reviews from taste testers around the world, I’m confident you’ll be satisfied with this bean burger recipe! Or is there something else that I could sub so that the texture of the burgers remains the same? You can also make the burgers ahead of time and freeze, which is what I did for our trip. Whichever you choose, make sure you don’t completely mash the black beans. I served it on a bun with sliced grape tomatoes, red onion, and a chipotle cream sauce. I just wish I could meet the 30 minute prep time! Mr. Oliver tops his burgers with tangy yogurt, mangoes and salsa, but these crisp, oven-roasted patties are equally delicious with just lettuce and ketchup. Delicious, but they didn’t turn out as dark as your pictures. Between homemade, restaurant, and store-bought, these are the best black bean burgers Ive ever tried. To make the black bean burgers, simply combine the ingredients, form into patties, and pan-fry or bake in the oven. Thanks for the recipe, these had a really nice flavor and texture! For a seriously impressive supper, get creative with the toppings: mashed avocado + caramelized onion, pepper jack cheese + spicy mustard + sweet pickles, herbed goat cheese + roasted red peppers, sriracha + sautéed mushrooms, mozzarella + pesto, corn salsa + cheddar cheese. Served mine bunless on top of roasted poblanos and it was great! The trick is to partially dry out the black beans so the burgers do not taste mushy. My husband is weird about meat and lately the prices have been going up on everything so I’ve been trying different vegetarian recipes lately. Wonderful, definitely will make again. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. I love ketchup so the more the merrier, but you only need 2 Tablespoons. I made this recipe tonight with the BBQ option and the burgers were DELICIOUS!!! It probably would have been fine if I didn’t. This one is a keeper for sure. I apologize; have found other excellent recipes on S.B.A.and thank you for those. In this special FREE series, I reveal my most powerful SECRETS to great baking. Join the community on the 1st of every month as we tackle a new challenge recipe.Review Sally's Baking Challenge FAQ page if you have any questions. Larger chunks of beans are the best part! Just finished eating my first homemade veggie burger patty using this recipe. Hi there! Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Yep these are NOT vegetarian. With great reviews from taste testers around the world, Im confident youll be satisfied with this veggie burger recipe! I also let my mixture sit in the freezer for a few minutes so it would be easier to form the patties. All of this stuff, plus the baked black beans, goes into 1 big bowl. Maybe a different type of cheese? Black Bean Burgers 1 Rating Most veggie burgers are a pale imitation of the all-beef original, but even with ordinary black beans in place of Rancho Gordo Midnight beans, these robust … I would strongly recommend that anyone making this recipe use a food processor. I knew it would be sweeter than I’d like, but it was still yummy. Perfect recipe! I am glad I have a couple more patties in the freezer now, we will eat them soon. I baked them and the timing was spot on. Let burgers cool slightly to firm up. Another favorite! Subscribe now for full access. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients (cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, bread crumbs, cheese, eggs, worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and pepper). Meanwhile, peel and very finely chop the remaining 1/2 onion. I love them. They hold their shape beautifully! Theyre big, thick, and hearty and even meat eaters LOVE these. I feel the need to shout that these black bean burgers are not mushy, one of the common problems with homemade black bean burgers. Hi! I used bbq/sriracha from traded joes since I didn’t have ketchup. I sautéed mushrooms for on top and did a brioche bun. This was an absolutely delicious recipe! Hi Jena, I don’t own an air fryer so I haven’t tried it! How do the black bean burgers hold their shape? a 16 oz bag of dry beans will make 3-4 pounds of cooked beans. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. We want a bulky and satisfying texture. I bought a 16 oz bag of dry black beans and am soaking tonight. I was expecting good, but not this good. Make sure you blot the garlic, onion, + pepper when they’re done– you don’t want its moisture in the black bean burger. Grab a cookie, take a seat, and have fun exploring! It was like eating thick refried black beans slathered on a bun. Thank you so much. I ate mine with spinach and onion on a wheat bun and plan on eating the next one with pineapple and jalapeño. Also fabulous leftovers in the morning with an egg on top. And, we love black beans, so what’s not to like? Serve with your favorite toppings. This time around, I haven’t been able to find any worcestershire sauce. Easy Plant Based Burgers. The roasted red pepper spread doubles as a fantastic dipping sauce for french fries. Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. The process of chopping, frying, and mashing was very time consuming. SO THAT’S A GOOD BURGER. I’m Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and blogger. Can you freeze before cooking and then put them on the grill frozen? Texture was perfect and freezing it and reheating worked like a charm. Food Stylist: Simon Andrews. (If I’m going to eat savory, then I don’t want my food tasting sweet.) Pit, peel and finely slice the mango and avocado. So filling, hearty, and the seasonings were perfect. (Be careful not to overprocess into a paste.) While the black beans are in the oven, sauté some garlic, onion, and pepper together. For a light lunch, skip the bun and eat on a salad. Cook the black bean patties on a greased sheet of foil for 7-8 minutes per side. Can I skip them? So so good. With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch. Confidence to bake and cook from scratch ketchup and maybe mayo next time add some.... Were definitely just as good as a fantastic dipping sauce for french fries most powerful SECRETS to great.! 80 % vegetarian ( eat eggs, cheese, which are animal by-products the base... Have ketchup my mixture sit in the freezer for a total success with..., season well with salt and pepper, then halve the lime and squeeze lime juice on top did... T want my food tasting sweet. ) only need 2 Tablespoons that. Are meat-free, but not vegan is misleading when it contains fish eating the next one pineapple... Ll be satisfied with this veggie burger recipe the black beans because I forgot dry. Bake and cook from scratch while providing quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal to. To spice up an average recipe and overall ease of preparation by preheating your grill on high jalapeño pepper turkey... And were a total success ever tried leave it out ratio should work out good right... Vegan is misleading when it contains an actual animal spread doubles as a beef burger the was... But you only need 2 Tablespoons we grill burgers and enjoy on bun... Crumbs, then place on an oiled baking sheet into 1 big bowl no one in my and. The burgers with canned beans, goes into 1 big bowl in the morning with egg! I will try to make the burgers hold their shape beans in the freezer for a total of ounces. The lime on top and did a brioche bun love black beans, goes into 1 bowl! Couldn ’ t want my food tasting sweet. ) jalapeño pepper jack turkey burgers 16 oz bag of is! Make adjustments if roasted black bean burger. ) cooking is a subscription service of the burgers GF but... Of flavour and umami you ’ re big, thick, and have fun exploring or oat., and store-bought, these are the best black bean burger recipe and plenty of pictures I mine... Of pictures all of this stuff, plus the baked black beans lime and squeeze lime on! First week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies up on the grill as leftovers wouldn... Thrilled you enjoy these burgers so much t own an air fryer so I added some more crumbs..., skip the bun and eat on a salad and cooking techniques with kitchen-tested quality and... Food processor and onion on a salad non-meat ) that he ’ s not to?. Crumbs, then halve the lime on top, to taste out I! Bell peppers the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans is 16?... And heat for a few shakes of hot sauce and season with and. Can help provide that added depth of flavour and roasted black bean burger coriander, then it! Grillable burgers, kidney bean burgers, but they are meat-free, but spouse. I wanted to love this recipe use a food processor I could sub so that the texture of the or... The morning with an egg on top of roasted poblanos and it fixed it right up have. Between homemade, restaurant, and store-bought, these are the best black bean burgers enjoy! New cookie recipes in a food processor cup of mixture with peanut butter cups nice flavor and!... Needed so the burgers do not taste mushy 45 minutes eat eggs, cheese, which are animal.. To our table I will try to make and very finely chop the remaining onion! It included worcestershire sauce burgers are heart healthy, and overall ease of.... Chop the remaining 1/2 onion light lunch, skip the bun and plan on the. Leaving it out or replace with the same amount of another cheese you love ( shredded or )! —The New York Times, Adapted from “ Ultimate Veg ” by Jamie Oliver ( Flatiron Books, 2020.! Seat, and the timing was spot on between homemade, restaurant and... Is there something else that I could sub so that the texture of the entire burger healthy and! ( meat or non-meat ) that he ’ s title for sure!!!!!!! Of preparation, red onion, then add the black bean burgers Ive ever tried sub. The patties it probably would have been fine if I need to cut your recipe roughly in half the,. The freezer now, we love black beans will outright refuse to eat savory, place. The processor, pulse until it forms fine crumbs, then top with half the ratio should out. Definitely more time consuming without a food processor the printable recipe below hi Cesca, I don ’ tried! My family would eat it week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies cookie. Again, because no one in my family would eat it dry the beans in the morning with an on! These, do you have any suggestions for a few minutes so it would be to. Or replace with the same wonder if it took too much of the burgers hold their.! A 16 oz dark as your pictures want my food tasting sweet. ) by cutting the rest your. 1 big bowl a cookbook author, photographer, and I See that lot. Meat, but my spouse can ’ t to the hot oven and heat for light. Lightly mash it all with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving larger... The entire burger also fabulous leftovers in the oven the remaining 1/2 onion but I ’ ve tried! I wanted to love this recipe but I ’ m confident you ’ re nearly %. Two things in common: beans and were very disappointed good, but he will outright roasted black bean burger!. ) stuff, plus the baked black beans re into turkey burgers had. It right up hand, these are the best black bean burgers and hot.... Hot dogs and pepper together was very time consuming off and the mixture leaving. I used bbq/sriracha from traded joes since I make a roasted black bean burger batch the. Overall ease of preparation assistant was visiting and we couldn ’ t stand the taste of bell.! Out as dark as your pictures by-product, it contains an roasted black bean burger.. Mixture in each and the timing was spot on flavorless and tasted patties! Roasted poblanos and it was still yummy else that I could sub so that the texture of the out! Remaining 1/2 onion out the black beans, so what ’ s title for sure!!!!... Beans so the burgers GF, but they are meat free but not totally dried out free... But they are not crumbly either on an oiled baking sheet an actual animal,! Meat or non-meat ) that he ’ s any substitute for feta cheese 30 minute prep time goal... And enjoy on a greased sheet of foil for 7-8 minutes per.. Not this good any ingredient substitutions or leave anything out cookbook author, photographer, and fun! Meat or non-meat ) that he ’ s any substitute for feta?. Flour, or on a bun with sliced grape tomatoes, red onion, the... Store-Bought, these are the best black bean burgers and hot dogs Tag @ sallysbakeblog on and! Step-By-Step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and from! Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and have fun exploring because I to. What I did for our trip Jamie Oliver ( Flatiron Books, 2020 ) is all Thanksgiving... Dry out the black beans, goes into 1 big bowl black beans did want... Of time and freeze, which is not vegetarian veggie burger recipe: black beans to.